Tuesday, July 10, 2012

21


Day 2: All right, here it is, day two of my journey and once again I had a hard time coming up with where I wanted to start.  So I sat down with my Bible and was looking through some books and I really wanted to dive deeper into the Old Testament.  I am drawn to the OT just because of the history (not that the New Testament does not have history) and the stories that it tells.  But for some reason, the whole time I was flipping trying to make a decision, John kept popping into my head.  To be honest, my excuse was “Lord, that book is for NEW believers, and I want something deeper then just John.”  So I continued my search and John just kept coming to mind.  So I kept pushing it away and then I got on the internet, and started looking for reading plans, and guess what I found?  I learned that it takes 21 days to form a new habit and guess what book has 21 chapters?  That’s right… John!  So Lord, I hear you and I’m listening and you did teach me already without having to read John.  So, as I was reading the first chapter I noticed a lot of names used for Jesus.  There were 11 different names that John wrote about in this first chapter.  Some of them were: The Word, Light, Lamb of God, Rabbi, and Messiah to name a few.  Every time I think about the names of God, I think about this poster that was somewhere in our church.  It amazes me that no matter what, God will always have a name, and when we get to heaven we will use all of these names and some that we don’t even know about.  Other then the names of God, at the end of the chapter something really stood out to me.  It’s when Jesus calls Philip and Nathanael to become disciples.  Philip tells Nathanael “Look man, remember the one guy that Moses wrote about in the Law, well He’s here and we’ve found Him, He’s from Nazareth!  Come see with me.”  And you know what Nathanael said… “He came from where?  Nothing good comes from there so I won’t believe it till I see it.”  Can you believe that?  Nathanael does exactly what we do today, he judged then said I don’t believe it till I see it.  We are people of sight and so God sent His son to earth to show us, and we still to this day say I don’t believe it!  It’s something to learn, that when God is teaching us lessons  we need to believe that He is doing it for our own good even if we can’t see what the outcome may be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment